I used white glue to attach my cork roadbed to the 2 inch extruded foam insulation.
My wife Beth models beside the newly completed cork roadbed.
The first bridge that I installed in this place was a Walthers wooden trestle. Knowing how to fill in around the bents was above my scenery skill level at the time, so I switched to an Atlas steel span without any supports. This was a good long term choice, but was a temporary setback at the time. I re-used the Walthers trestle in another part of the layout a few years later.
A staging yard is one of the best ways I can think of to expand an otherwise boring 4×8 HO scale layout. I divided this yard and called the left side Corson, SD and the left I referred to as Morefield South Dakota. This extension has since been demolished and rebuilt. I neglected to use cork roadbed here and paid for it in hearing loud trains running over it.
I’ve installed the Pikestuff ramp kit and will move on to painting the surfaces that will be covered with ground foam and gravel soon.
This is the Walthers Red X Cement Plant. The tooling is the same as the Medusa Cement Plant, but comes with some added rooftop details.
Here I’m working on a cut into a hillside. I represented this by building up the hillside with shaped scrap foam insulation, wadded newspapers, masking tape and plaster cloth.
One reason i chose foam is that it is easy to work with and represent changes in elevation of the surrounding terrain around the right-of-way. The long gently curving line is where my backdrop will be placed.
I also made heavy use of a Sharpie marker to lay out my ideas of where stuff would be placed on the layout.
It is always important to test your tracklaying before you get too far into the scenery process. It also keeps you interested in running trains.