Jan 192014
 
I've removed the cab and short hood section in preparation for attaching the blank hood and high nose.

I’ve removed the cab and short hood section in preparation for attaching the blank hood and high nose.

So, this is going to be my first attempt at a B30-7A.  It has been a long time since I’ve worked on any GE power in my shop.  But GE power was still relevant in the era of BN which I model.    I’m going to do an early B30-7A, the easy version.

The later one requires building a doghouse for the dynamic brakes on the roof of the long hood.

I have started with an Atlas Silver Series B23-7 I got off ebay, which someone so kindly undecorated for me.

Here’s my start.

Jan 082014
 

So here it is…

Family/Housing:
———-
find a church
take Beth on a date at least 6 times.
observe a ‘no TV’ night every week
oversee the construction of our new house

Fitness:
———-
cycle with Beth 20-ish or more miles three or more times in 2014
run a sub-20 minute 5k
strength train at least 30 minutes 2 or 3 days every week.
take a few boxing lessons before beginning boxing related cross training workouts
get a heavy punching bag for our workout room at the new house
Look into cycle trainers  – use our own bikes on a stationary platform that provides [variable] resistance.

Diet:
———-
eat no desserts on nights Beth works.
drink no pop in January and February.

Hobby:
———-
earn 1 new NMRA AP certificate.
learn layout design software e.g. 3rd-Planit or similar
complete an HO Scale B30-7A project (BN 4009)

Comments:
———-
Dialing back my enthusiasm for structured model railroad hobby goals and marathoning.    I’m not saying I’m done with running marathons, I just want to have the time to commit to be sure I can break 4:00.  This year does not look like it will lend itself to that.  Also, treadmill boredom and a lifelong of curiosity have lead me to resolve to explore boxing.   As a late-30 something, this might well be called crazy, but so can be running 26.2 miles.

 

Jan 082014
 

Ugh.  I only did one of these things in 2013.  I knew that this list was a little aggressive when I wrote it, but then when I wrote it, we weren’t expecting twin baby daughters, either.  Not that I blame Twin A and Twin B, or The Boy 2.5 for my failure in these items.  Many of which were and are fully within my control.

So, at least my wife would have said at the in the first half of the year that I was on a great trajectory.

  • Take my wife on a date at least 6 times.   Done.
  • Run a marathon in less than 4 hours.
  • Weigh less than 200 lbs at Marathon start time.
  • Eat no desserts on nights Beth works.
  • Have a photo published in Model Railroader’s Trackside Photos section.
  • Earn at least 2 new NMRA AP certificates.
  • Observe a ‘no TV’ at least one night every week.
  • Find a church.
  • Be able to do 10 pull-ups by July 1 and 20 by Dec 31.
  • Be able to do 40 push ups at one time by Dev 31.
Jan 082014
 
Roof line detail and right side of my HO scale GP10 project.  Most of the small detail parts have been added.  Wiring is complete.  The engine is pretty much ready for decals.

Roof line detail and right side of my HO scale GP10 project. Most of the small detail parts have been added. Wiring is complete. The engine is pretty much ready for decals.

In the introductory post on my GP10 project, I noted that I’d like this project done by October 31.   I didn’t mention what year.  It is well past the date which I originally targeted for completion of this project.  However, those of you that know me know the two little reasons (Twin A and Twin B) for my lack of progress.  The twins are fine and their brother, 2 1/2, is doing fine.  Our life is getting back to the ‘new’ normal.

Any case, I took these pictures on October 6, 2013 and have made progress since then, but I wanted to let you know what has happened with this project leading up to October 6th.

I finished installing most of the detail parts that don’t interfere with masking.  Parts I left off for the time being are the lower grab irons and three pane all-weather window.  Another big task was to install the DCC decoder.   I did a hardwired installation, as this Atlas unit predates DCC ready standards by many years.  I chose a DH163 for its ability to produce rear and forward lights on F0 and a (simulated) rotary beacon on the cab top.  Street price for a Dh163 is about $30.00.

The rotary beacon is functional.  It is lit by the green wire from the Digitrax DH163 installed under the long hood.

The rotary beacon is functional. It is lit by the green wire from the Digitrax DH163 installed under the long hood.

The hardwired installation isn’t at all hard.  Just time consuming.  I removed the factory “board”.  I wired the red wire to the right pickup, black to the left.   An orange and gray wire each to the motor.  I used the white and yellow wires for forward and reverse headlights and the green wire to power the fink light.  I used the blue wire as common for all the wires.  I used Miniatronics 1.5v, 30mA bulbs in all applications here, mainly for their physical dimensions.  I’m always biased toward using LEDs, but in this case, it made sense to use these incandescent bulbs.   The main issue was making sure all those bulbs would be easy to put back into place after painting.

Then it was off to the paint shop, where I shot a coat of BN green (Polly-S) on the body and frame.  I masked using 3M blue painter’s tape and then painted Polly-S engine black on the rest of the model.

A bunch of post-paint work was needed to get the cab to fit down over the main shell and frame correctly.  Remember that this model has been modified, so things didn’t quite fit as expected.    After several permutations of assembly and disassembly and minimal cursing, I got the engine to fit together presentably and functionally.